NCLA will get you licensed QUICKER and EASIER!
We have the Tennessee Contractor License Information you need. Receive trusted guidance on registering your business, documenting your qualifications, passing your state exams, avoiding exams, using reciprocity and qualifying individuals.
Contact a license professional to get properly licensed today!
Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance:
Telephone Number: 615-741-2241
Department of Commerce & Insurance
500 James Robertson Parkway
Davy Crockett Tower
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0565
Contractor’s: $250 Fee
Home Improvement Contractor: $250 Fee
Limited Licensed Plumber Fees: Exam Fee (One Portion) 57.00 Exam Fee (Two Portions) 114.00
Residential Contractor: Exam Fee (One Portion) 57.00 Exam Fee (Two Portions) 114.00
Commercial Contractor: Exam Fee (One Portion) 57.00 Exam Fee (Two Portions) 114.00
Electrical Contractor: Exam Fee (One Portion) 57.00 Exam Fee (Two Portions) 114.00
Limited Licensed Electrician: (One Portion) 57.00 Exam Fee (Two Portions) 114.00
WATER WELL DRILLER LICENSE: $100.00
MONITOR WELL DRILLER LICENSE $100.00
GEOTHERMAL WELL DRILLER LICENSE $100.00
PUMP INSTALLER LICENSE $ 50.00
WATER TREATMENT INSTALLER LICENSE $ 50.00
Who Is Required To Be Licensed
NOTICE! A Tennessee contractor’s license is required BEFORE bidding or offering a price, for projects $25,000 and up (includes materials and labor), as a prime (general) contractor; and also subcontractors performing electrical, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing and masonry are also required to be licensed as a contractor, when the total portion on the project is $25,000 or more; masonry, when $100,000 or more. In addition, a sub to a sub would need to be licensed whenever there are more than one (1) subcontractors on the project. Reciprocal agreements do NOT allow using another state’s license in Tennessee, but provides a trade exam waiver, only. License issuance takes 4 to 6 weeks and must be approved by the Board during regularly scheduled meetings.
0680-01-.16 APPENDIX A OF RULE 0680-01-.12 (CLASSIFICATIONS SYSTEM).
Outline of Classifications
BC – Building Construction
A. Residential-“Residential building contractors” are those whose services are limited to
construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one (1), two (2), three (3), or four (4) family unit residences not exceeding three (3) stories in height and accessory use structures in
1. Limited Residential (r)-A limited residential contractor is authorized to bid on and contract for the construction, remodel, repair, or improvement of a single family dwelling the total cost of which does not exceed one hundred twenty five thousand dollars ($125,000.00).
B. Commercial-A commercial building contractor is authorized to bid on and contract for the
construction, erection, alteration, repair or demolition of any building or structure for use and occupancy by the general public, including residential construction with more than four (4) units or greater than three (3) stories in height.
2. Small Commercial (b)-A small commercial building contractor is authorized to bid on and
contract for the construction, erection, alteration, repair or demolition of any building or
structure for use and occupancy by the general public the total cost of which does not exceed
seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($750,000.00).
C. Industrial-A contractor under this classification is authorized to bid on and contract for the erection, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings or structures used for industrial production and service, such as manufacturing plants.
1. Each building category may apply to any major construction classification.
2. Pursuant to T.C.A. § 62-6-113, a contractor may not be licensed in six (6) or more categories
under any one (1) major classification without successfully passing the written or oral
examination, or both, for the major classification.
1. Acoustical Treatments
2. Carpentry, Framing and Millwork, etc.
4. Floor Covering
6. Glass, Window and Door Construction
7. Institutional and Recreational Equipment
8. Lathe, Plaster, Stucco, and Aluminum Siding
9. Masonry -under one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00), materials and labor
- Ornamental and Miscellaneous Metal
11. Painting, Interior Decorating
12. Roof Decks
13. Site and Subdivision Development
14. Special Coatings and Waterproofing
15. Tile, Terrazzo and Marble
17. Elevators, Escalators, and Dumbwaiters
18. Erection and Fabrication of Structural Steel
20. Sheet Metal
21. Roofing-includes gutters and vinyl siding
24. Golf Courses
25. Tennis Courts
26. Swimming Pools
27. Outdoor Advertising
HC – Heavy Construction
(Wharves, Docks, Harbor Improvements and Terminals)
B. Tunnel and Shaft
- Energy and Power Plants
D. Dams, Dikes, Levees and Canals
E. Mining Surface and Underground
F. Oil Field Construction
G. Oil Refineries
H. Storm Damage Cleanup
I. Landfill Construction
Heavy Construction Categories (Apply to All Areas)
1. Structural Steel Erection
2. Tower and Stack Construction
3. Foundation Construction, Pile Driving, Foundation Drilling, and Stabilization
4. Demolition and Movement of Structures
5. Clearing, Grubbing, Snagging and Rip Rap
6. Slipform Concrete Structures
7. Rigging and Crane Rigging
HRA – Highway, Railroad and Airport Construction
A. Grading and Drainage-Includes grading, drainage pipe and structures, clearing and grubbing.
B. Base and Paving
1. Base Construction
2. Hot and Cold Mix Asphalt
3. Surface Treatment Asphalt
4. Concrete Paving
C. Bridges and Culverts
4. Bridge Deck Overlay (Sealant)
7. Steel Erection
D. Railroad Construction and Related Items
E. Miscellaneous and Specialty Items
1. Traffic Safety
(a) Pavement Markers
(c) Guardrail and Fencing
(d) Attenuators, signalization and roadway lighting
2. Landscaping-Includes seeding, sodding, planting, and chemical weed and brush control.
3. Pavement Rehabilitation-Includes pressure grouting, grinding and grooving, concrete joints,
4. Well Drilling
5. Miscellaneous Concrete-Includes sidewalks, driveways, curb and gutter, and box culverts.
MU – Municipal and Utility Construction
Municipal and Utility Construction includes all supervision, labor, material and equipment to complete
underground piping, water and sewer plants and sewer disposal, grading and drainage, and paving
(unless restricted to specific areas named).
A. Underground Piping-Furnish supervision, labor, material and equipment to complete all
underground piping for municipal and utility construction (unless restricted to specific areas
1. Gas Distribution and Transmission Lines
2. Sewer Lines, Storm Drains, Rehabilitation and Structures
4. Underground Conduit
B. Water and Sewer Systems*-* Classification BC-B is necessary in order to construct water and
C. Grading and Drainage-Includes grading, drainage pipe and structures, clearing and grubbing.
D. Base and Paving
1. Base Construction
- Hot and Cold Mix Asphalt
3. Surface Treatment Asphalt
4. Concrete Pavement
5. Miscellaneous Concrete (includes sidewalks, driveways, curb and gutter, and box culverts)
MC (CMC) – Mechanical Contracting (the classification CMC is noted on licenses issued after 1992 and represents that the licensee has passed the Board licensing exam and that no county or municipality shall require such state licensee or its employees to pass any county or municipal test or examination pursuant to T.C.A. § 62-6-111(i)(2)(C).
A. Plumbing and Gas Piping
B. Process Piping
C. HVAC, Refrigeration, Gas Piping
D. Sprinklers & Fire Protection
E. Insulation of Mechanical Work
F. Pollution Control
G. Pneumatic Tube Systems
H. Temperature Controls (Pneumatic)
I. Boiler Construction & Repairs
J. Fuel Gas Piping and Systems
LMC-Licensed Masonry Contractor
E (CE) – Electrical Contracting (the classification CE is noted on licenses issued after 1992 and represents that the licensee has passed the Board licensing exam and that no county or municipality shall require such state licensee or its employees to pass any county or municipal test or examination pursuant to T.C.A. § 62-6-111(i)(2)(C)).
A. Electrical Transmission Lines
B. Electrical Work for Buildings and Structures
C. Underground Electrical Conduit Installation
D. Sound and Intercom Systems, Fire Detection Systems, Signal and Burglar Alarm Systems and Security Systems up to seventy (70) volts do not require examination-*Please note that a
separate license, issued by the Tennessee Alarm Systems Contractors Board, is also required for alarm systems.
E. Electrical Signs
F. Telephone Lines and Ducts
- Cable T.V.
I. Electrical Temperature Controls
J. Fire Detection Systems, Signal and Burglar Alarm Systems and Security Systems with conduit and wiring above seventy (70) volts require an electrical exam.
K. Roadway Lighting, Attenuators and Signalization – requires electrical examination.
L. Electric Meter Installation
S – Specialty The Board will utilize the system of classifications set forth in Appendix A. The
Board reserves the right to depart from the classification system in appropriate individual cases.
S – Specialty/Environmental work falling within the definition of contracting pursuant to T.C.A. § 62-6-102.
A. Asbestos Material Handling/Removing
B. Underground Storage Tank
C. Lead-Based Paint Abatement
D. Hazardous Waste Removal
E. Air, Water or Soil Remediation
F. Mold Remediation
In each of the above environmental classifications, the following requirements apply:
1. In order to be eligible for licensure in this specialty classification, the applicant shall furnish evidence satisfactory to the Board that the designated employee(s) shall have completed all training courses as required by the applicant state and federal agencies. In the event training courses are unavailable, the applicant’s education, training, experience and equipment will be determined and considered in order to qualify the applicant for licensure.
2. A contractor holding a license in this specialty classification shall, as a condition for renewal of such license, keep abreast of all applicable state and federal requirements to ensure “state of the art” handling and removing of above materials by requiring its designated employee(s) to do so.
3. A contractor shall, whenever work in this specialty classification is in progress, have
physically on the job site the designated employee(s) directly responsible for the work.
4. A contractor shall notify the Board of any citation lodged against it, or any of its employees, relative to work in a specialty classification within ten (10) days of receipt of the citation.
S-Specialty/Medical Gas Piping installation, maintenance and repair work falling within the regulation of medical gas piping pursuant to T.C.A. § 68-11-253.
A. Medical Gas Piping Installer Certification Requirements.
1. The minimum qualifications for board certification are the qualifications for certification
established by the American Medical Gas Institute (AMGI) or the Piping Industry Progress and Education Trust Fund (PIPE). A minimum of thirty-two (32) hours of training, with eight (8) of such hours in brazing, shall be required for board certification. The board shall from time to time revise minimum qualifications for board certification to include the most current edition of NFPA 99C “Standard on Gas and Vacuum Systems.”
(a) The minimum of thirty-two (32) hours of training for board certification as a medical gas
installer shall include training in the following areas from the most current edition of NFPA 99C, Gas and Vacuum Systems:
(1) Medical Gas Systems.
(2) Gas Distribution Systems.
(3) Installation of Pressurized Gas Systems.
(4) Vacuum Piping.
(5) Brazing Techniques for Medical Gas Systems.
(6) Requirements for Levels of Patient Care.
2. The board may designate and approve independent examining agencies, as necessary, to provide the training and examinations necessary for board certification required by T.C.A. § 68-11-253. The board will review an examining agency’s curriculum prior to its designation to determine compliance with the minimum qualifications listed above in A.1.(a).
3. The designated examining agency may charge reasonable fees for training and
examination as determined appropriate by the board.
James K. Polk Bldg., Suite 700, 505 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243